Joe Jusko’s work has earned him myriad awards and honors, including two “Favorite Painter” Wizard Fan Awards, multiple trading card awards, a Golden Lion Award from the Burroughs Bibliophiles (previous recipients include Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo) and a Chesley Award nomination for best cover in 2001.
Joe’s original paintings are held in collections worldwide, a fact that never ceases to amaze and humble him.
“When I consider where I come from, and how few people actually get to live their childhood dream in their adult life, I feel nothing if not fortunate and very, very blessed.”
His recent work includes a fully painted graphic novel based on Lara Croft, the heroine from the Tomb Raider video game series, which recently won a Certificate of Merit from the prestigious Society of Illustrators, into which he was inducted in 2007. (“Without a doubt the most work I’ve ever put into anything!”), miscellaneous cover paintings for ‘The Oz/Wonderland Chronicles’, ‘four new covers and a tribute poster for Vampirella’s 40th anniversary (“My personal favorite character to paint!”), and covers for a Wolverine/Hercules miniseries, among others, including the normal assortment of painted projects A Green Lantern cover for DC Comics, a collection of pencil drawings due out later this year, and a series of fine art paintings for a new Publishing House (www.theforestprimeval.com) and a proposed gallery show. His hardcover “Art of Joe Jusko” book was released by Desperado Publishing in May, 2009 to rave reviews, and he’s developing a graphic storytelling property with Steve Niles’ (author of “30 Days of Night”).
10 for the Pros™
Joe Jusko – Artist/Inker/Colorist/Writer
1. What comic (character) would you love to have total creativity control over? And why?
(JJ) Vampirella, as I think the character has lost direction from the original concept.
2. If you could have 1 superpower, what would it be?
(JJ) Healing factor.
3. Do you have a routine that you follow before or during work?
(JJ) Lots of coffee before, TV time after to wind down.
4. Who is your favorite creator to work with?
(JJ) Dave Johnson.
5. In your opinion, do you feel that the movie industry is doing a good job with the Comic Book movies?
(JJ) Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
6. What comic book hero/villain do you want to see on screen?
(JJ) Looking forward to Captain America.
7. “If I wasn’t in the comic book industry, I would be working….”?
(JJ) …As a police officer.
8. What advice could you give a creator trying to break into the industry?
(JJ) Be honest in your assessment of your own work.
9. “My Best investment in life was……”
(JJ) Following my childhood dream.
10. Have anything you’d like to plug?
(JJ) “The Art of Joe Jusko” from Desperado Publishing 328 pages of tons of stuff from over 30 years.
Who were your influences breaking into the Industry?
(JJ) John Buscema, John Romita Sr., Frank Frazetta.
Digital or Paper?
Thank you Joe!
Click “The Art Of Joe Jusko” banner below to see and purchase some Amazing art from Joe Jusko.